Have you been involved in a car accident? Do you suffer from head, back, neck pain, or even more severe injuries to your brain? If so, TurningPoint Medical Group specializes in physical therapy and brain rehabilitation for motor vehicle accident victims.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that around 6 million car accidents occur each year. Of that number, some 2.5 million or more are rear-end collisions. These are the types of accidents that result in whiplash and concussion. Whiplash is when the neck extends past its normal range of motion. The following are the symptoms associated with whiplash:
- A reduction in the range of motion you have in your neck.
- Fatigue or dizziness.
- Numbness and tingling in your upper extremities.
- Chronic headaches or migraines.
- Stiffness and pain in your shoulders, neck and head.
- Occasional memory problems and/or blurred vision.
It’s important to note that whiplash and concussion symptoms don’t always appear immediately after your accident. Also, in addition to whiplash, a car accident can cause a wide variety of physical problems. That’s why it’s wise to seek the services of a physical therapist for an evaluation after your wreck, even if you currently seem fine.
Give us a call today to schedule your free initial consultation:
Read on to learn more about how physical therapy can help you after an accident:
Why Choose Physical Therapy For Motor Vehicle Accident Patients?
There are countless reasons to seek physical therapy after your motor vehicle accident. The following are five of the more pertinent:
- Physical Therapy Supports Your Recovery Process: Physical therapy improves your flexibility and strength. As a result, it keeps your pain away. Physical therapy promotes faster recovery as it gets you moving quicker. Staying in bed in pain is no way to recover.
- Physical Therapy Can Prevent Long-Term Damage: Chronic pain and migraines are long-term symptoms of a car accident. When you go through physical therapy, you reduce your risk of ever facing these long-term issues. A Medscape study found this to be true. They found patients who failed to get immediate care after their accident were much more likely to suffer degenerative disc disease. This is when compared to those who didn’t get care immediately after their accident.
- Activity Helps to Reduce Pain: After a car accident, you properly don’t want to be physically active. This is understandable. However, if you get moving through physical therapy, you will actually recover from your injuries much quicker. This works because physical movement forces nutrients and oxygenated blood to the site of your injury. This taps into your body’s natural ability to heal itself.
- Physical Therapy Can Prevent The Need For Surgery: You might set yourself up to need surgery later if you neglect physical therapy after an accident. Physical therapy targets the injured, vulnerable ligaments, tendons and muscles. This protects your body and prevents the need for surgery down the road.
- Physical Therapy Can Help With Old injuries: Physical therapy is a good way to address even old injuries from a car accident. Cardiovascular rehabilitation and strength training in physical therapy help you live as close to a pain-free life as possible. You can even restore function to the body where it has previously been limited due to injury.
How is Therapy Different From Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractors and physical therapists both offer their patient’s specialized care. However, they do have some differences between them. Chiropractors specialize in spinal manipulation and adjustments. This includes joint adjustment and mobilization of the soft tissue. Physical therapists specialize in human movement. Their practice involves restoring all movement processes to their patients. They do this through neurologic rehabilitation, manual therapy, soft tissue and joint mobilization, cardiovascular rehabilitation and muscle coordination rehabilitation.
The Physical therapists at TurningPoint Medical Group are certified manual therapists (or in process to get certified) which enables the therapist in spine and joint adjustments if necessary.
Do I need to See a Doctor Before Starting Physical Therapy?
In the state of Colorado, you do not have to see a doctor before beginning physical therapy. This is because Colorado is a First Access state. This gives a physical therapist the ability to diagnose and treat a musculoskeletal condition or injury.
Why Choose TurningPoint Medical Group?
Admittedly, physical therapy isn’t right for every injury or condition. However, since we offer a free consultation at TurningPoint Medical Group, there is no reason not to see if it would help your condition. Through our evaluation, we can determine if you would benefit from our physical therapy services. There are a few additional ways in which we stand above our competitors when it comes to patient care. They are listed below:
- You Are Seen by a Physical Therapist: At TurningPoint Medical Group, you are seen, evaluated and treated by a highly trained and practiced physical therapist. (We believe this gives you a greater level of care than the care you would get from a tech, aid or physical therapy assistant.)
- We Are Hands On: We provide hands-on manual physical therapy. This means we will touch you. This is the only way to determine what is going on with your body. It is similar to the way a chiropractor touches you in order to manipulate your spine.
- We Have Innovative Treatments: We provide technologically advanced treatments like our High Definition Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy (HDVR). This treatment employs the use of a (Gyro machine) automated multi-axle rotational chair (Gyrostim). It is a treatment that retrains and repairs brain function. We are one of only a few groups with such a machine. Consequently, people come from all over the world to try our HDVR therapy.
How a Car Accident Can Change Your Life
You might assume once your cuts and bruises heal after your accident, that you are out of the woods. You can go back to living as you did before and not have any lasting effects. Hopefully, that is the case. However, in many situations, it is not. In fact, car accidents often cause lasting detrimental effects on victims. Some of these issues might not appear for years after your accident. That is why seeking physical therapy care through us at TurningPoint Medical Group is wise. We will head off any potential issues before they present themselves. In addition, if you are currently experiencing pain, stiffness or limited movement, we can easily address these problems and restore your life to its previous state. While we can’t erase the memories of your car accident or the trauma you experienced thereafter, we can work towards healing your body of the aftereffects of such an incident. Call us today to learn how can help you. Don’t live another day in pain.